In this week’s blog post; I find out just how bad I am at arts and craft, and I try explaining a board game I made to my parents.

Prototyping

I won’t lie, I procrastinated making my prototypes for a very long time. This was mostly because I thought it would take maybe an hour at the most. I was very wrong.

If you’ll remember from my last post, I was hoping to have King of Tokyo style score cards in my game. In order to make these score cards, I decided to cut two pieces of cardboard to be the back and front, and cut two circular pieces of cardboard that i would then slip in between and attach with brass fasteners. P1040183.JPG

I don’t know how, but this entire process ended up taking nearly three hours, just to make three score cards. I cut holes in the wrong places, several times, and wrote the numbers so they were seen upside down on the first score card. Despite many minor set backs, I did end up making three (mostly) successful score cards.

P1040190.JPG

In order to complete a play test, I also printed off the 10 cards I had finished writing at that point.

Play testing

Play testing was an extremely informative experience, that really help find the flaws in my game.

Because I could only find two dice at home, I decided to not use the symbol dice, and instead let players chose what action each of there numbers would go towards. I think this worked out for the best as it allow players more choice.

The rules of the game were actually quite simple to explain to my parents, who I was play testing with, and they seemed to understand what was required after just the first round.

Even before play testing, I knew that I didn’t have enough cards for the game to completely function properly, how ever I didn’t release how the different cards would affect the game differently in different stages in the games. For example, my dad picked up a card that gave him full health, but as it was only the beginning of the game, he already had full health. Another complication with the cards was that some ceased to function with only three players, such as a card that redirects another players attack; you can’t redirect an attack away from another player without targeting yourself.

Upon completing the play through, I discovered another unforeseen issue. The game had only lasted a few rounds before ending. This was because I had based the numbers on the score card on those used in King of Tokyo, but didn’t take into account the fact that King of Tokyo only used numbered dice up to three. Because we were using a regular dice, which went up to six, it meant all of the scores needed to be able go to twice what the were in King of Tokyo.

Overall, prototyping, and play testing taught me a lot about my game, and gave me lots of areas in which to improve.

Advertisements